Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Barlow#15 winch rebuild

The Dolphin Sr project left an opening on Sunday to cleanup and lubricate the Barlow #15 winch I got off of eBay. I disassembled it and cleaned and greased the bearings and springs.
After cleaning and lubing. I reassembled it and took it up to the boat where I discovered this was the later edition of the winch..
Notice the difference in profile and color. Also this one uses the Allen bolt to keep the drum on.

On the web there are 2 versions of the instructions that show how disassemble each type of winch .
Version 1 Version 2
Posted by Picasa

Friday, August 17, 2007

Trailer details

The trailer reassembly weht fairly quickly as everyting lined up and was able to go together quickly.
Since I chose to use the low profile wheels the fender will eventually have to be adjusted, since the axle was 2 inches longer to accomadate the fatter tires .

The trailer hub was where I learned the greatest lesson. i t appears that instead of using bearing buddies you fill it with grease from tthe back and it pushes grease out of the rubber seal..sorta like a bearing seal failure only controlled. This is supposed to be a saltwater technology so I look forward to long bearing life and cool runnings man.

Size matters --At least in trailer tires . the new tire will help dissipate heat and has a max 50 psi max so it should run fine at 20 psi on sand or gravel beaches as a dolly tire.

Here's a better view of the difference
Posted by Picasa

Trailer rejuvenation

So here's the assembled trailer and a couple of pics of the hull.
Larry is a boat perfectionist and it shows in the hull paint job.
The next pic shows a close up and he's still not satisfied with it.
I hope he doesn't cringe when it goes into the water.

Trailer assembly part 1- "Parts is parts" The new axle built by Com-Fab. while looking around the shop i found these tires. They advised a traditional 5 spoke 12'' tire but I chose these so I could deflate them and use the trailer as a dolly in sand or on regular ground. They say thy are good to 600lbs before their limitations show up. Even if i am totally disgusted I can always go back and get the 12's . But working with a trailer builder means the advice is tempered by experience.

Everything ready to assemble .
Posted by Picasa

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sail Repair

The sail was also a Craigslist find and for $25, it should make it through the 1st season.

It came with some abrasions but it should work fine after a bunch of sail tape.
More of Larry's handiwork

Sweet and smooth like a baby's bottom

Late evening makes for blue pics

2 more coats to go.

See more of Larry's skill at
Posted by Picasa

Com-Fab trailer axle rebuild

This is the kind of place the boat bug gets you to .
Metal, trucks , down hill in a light industrial park.

Axles wheels trailers ... I'm loving it already

What y'll have, whatta y'll have????

One axle with slipper springs , 600lb capacity for a jet ski..
O.k. coming right up welcome to Com-Fab Trailers.
Posted by Picasa

Larry's magic

The hull is finally coming together .
It has been patched and filled and faired , then sprayed.
Larry has been working his spray magic and I believe he wants to add 2 coats after this.its going to look sharp on the water. I'll cringe at the 1st scratch on the water but then we'll enjoy the heck out of it.
In the next 2 posts I'll detail the temporary sail and the trailer axle rebuild in the next couple of posts
Posted by Picasa

Sunday, August 5, 2007

The saga on the trailer

The Boat repair has gone swimmingly with a lot of help from Larry .
In addition to patching the hole and installing a 6 inch Beckson Port he has helped with the prep and painting, so I am eternally greatful to him.
The trailer is another story though.
Dropping the axle was very easy.
After that I inspected the axle and running gear and discovered some major corrosion from marine dunking.
Once I removed the wheels this is what I was left with .
Viewed from the underside you can see the corrosion on the axle and slipper springs.
The axle appears to be shorter than the ones sold at Northern Tool by about 6 inches so I will have to go to a jet ski shop and see if they have the complete axle.
If I cant get it that way I will have to buy some channel iron and get it welded up.
Another option is getting the larger axle and moving the original fenders outward for correct fit.